New Guy With Infamous Monster Colt

MonsterColt

New Guy With Infamous Monster Colt

Post by MonsterColt » Fri May 26, 2017 6:09 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Patrick and I have owned the 2.6L colt famous in SCCA PRO RALLY in the US. Commonly referred to as the "Monster Colt"

Thanks,
Patrick

Old Colt

Re: New Guy With Infamous Monster Colt

Post by Old Colt » Fri May 26, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi Patrick,
Welcome to the Classic site. I have not seen or heard much about Larry Schmidt's car since you brought it out east. It was starting to get some rough edges to it before you bought it, love to see what you have done with it.
You will also find we have a few rally guys here with some good history.
Regards,
CharlieN

Sideways

Post by Sideways » Sat May 27, 2017 3:46 am

Nice Moniker :lol: Welcome aboard Patrick! A wealth of info was part of the original site that Charlie and many others here are trying to rebuild. Plenty of knowledgeable Mitsu folk around here and questions always get answered at some point when someone wanders by :)

We'd love some footage or pics of the Monster when you get the chance!

Cheers, S
Good drivers have dead bugs on the side windows!

TNcolt423

Post by TNcolt423 » Sun May 28, 2017 6:29 am

Weren't you the guy who was selling some kind of crazy lancia project a few months ago?

MonsterColt

Post by MonsterColt » Tue May 30, 2017 7:13 am

Sideways wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 3:46 am
Nice Moniker :lol: Welcome aboard Patrick! A wealth of info was part of the original site that Charlie and many others here are trying to rebuild. Plenty of knowledgeable Mitsu folk around here and questions always get answered at some point when someone wanders by :)

We'd love some footage or pics of the Monster when you get the chance!

Cheers, S
Hey S,

It would be great to have a resource of knowledge from the mitsu guys. For the most part all the things on these rally cars have been simplified and made incredibly easy to work on.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSSMHClBrBJ ... notone_pat

Hopefully this link works.

The car is certainly rough around the edges. The guy who was rallying it before me was driving a very unfit unsafe car. I've buttoned everything up mechanically and the car is very very fast. Much faster than my driving ability.

MonsterColt

Post by MonsterColt » Tue May 30, 2017 7:20 am

TNcolt423 wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 6:29 am
Weren't you the guy who was selling some kind of crazy lancia project a few months ago?
Yes,

As I expected there is so little rally knowledge in the US i was never even made an offer or shown interest in my 037. I also have a 1988 Lancia Delta Integrale.

My brother Owns the Colt Rally car built buy Ricky Delacuesta on the West Coast.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAvj6Ksp2cE ... notone_pat

Here is another video of the Monster Colt

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPT5jH2hT9n ... notone_pat

Sideways

Post by Sideways » Tue May 30, 2017 4:52 pm

Good to see you resurrecting the old girl - it'd be nice to see it with fresh warpaint :)
I know you were looking at running the 1600 but have obviously abandoned those thoughts - are you able to run it with the Astron as a 'classic' (ie: previous rally history, known car etc...?)
We have a number of cars here in Aus that don't conform to any current classes but are generally allowed to run as 'Club' or 'Classic' cars due to their extensive rally history. A few just turn up and run anyway but can't figure in any official results - they just want to go out and have fun in the forests (which is exactly how it should be!)

Raptorreed

Post by Raptorreed » Wed May 31, 2017 12:38 am

Sideways wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 4:52 pm
Good to see you resurrecting the old girl - it'd be nice to see it with fresh warpaint :)
I know you were looking at running the 1600 but have obviously abandoned those thoughts - are you able to run it with the Astron as a 'classic' (ie: previous rally history, known car etc...?)
We have a number of cars here in Aus that don't conform to any current classes but are generally allowed to run as 'Club' or 'Classic' cars due to their extensive rally history. A few just turn up and run anyway but can't figure in any official results - they just want to go out and have fun in the forests (which is exactly how it should be!)
If I recall out here in this part of the country, Group 2 in the US allowed up to 2.4l which is why Adam's 77 Lancer rally car (known and logbooked rally car in the Northwest from the 80s) ran the Destroked 2.6l setup, not sure if their are similar rules out east. In Canada Group 2 allows up to 2.6l.
Tim
76 Colt Galant Coupe
79 Colt Wagon
88 Starquest
92 Galant VR-4
98 Montero

Old Colt

Post by Old Colt » Wed May 31, 2017 2:10 am

Grp2 will allow a 2570 engine at 2271 lbs. I expect that engine is a bit larger than stock displacement so a fudge factor needs to be used.
As I recall that car is lighter than that and I have not paid attention if the rules specify weight as being with crew, which I doubt.
Regards,
CharlieN

Team_Harco

Post by Team_Harco » Wed May 31, 2017 4:13 am

Last time I cared to know about this, G2 was (2WD) up to 2.4 l; G5 was (2WD) over 2.4 l. This is with multipliers in effect. E.g. 1.2 for 4-valve heads, 1.8 for turbo, etc. There is a max displacement. I don't recall the exact permitted. There is (was?) a 0.8 multiplier for pushrod engines, so V8s (up to a certain displacement) were legal.

Ah - Charlie may have more up to date info. I haven't built a car in a while, so haven't been keeping up.

Historic/ Vintage rally is almost non-existent here in North America. Most of the sanctioning bodies have toyed with it, but there is so little interest, it has not taken off.

Good to see Larry's old car getting some care. Larry took me for a "spin around the block" just after he finished building it. Nice little car.
Scott
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"
75 Colt Rally car "Stig", 76 Colt Race car "Sammy", 74 Colt street car project "Dinsdale"
...and more than a dozen other toys...

Sideways

Post by Sideways » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:41 am

Patrick - have a holiday and bring it over to Aus!! :D
It'd be welcome at The Alpine (world's second oldest rally after the Monte).
A 120 car field this year that already has 280+ registrations......
Outside of Europe there are 3 events that everyone wants to do - The Silver Fern and Otago Classics in NZ and The Alpine in Aus (plus more recently) The Classic Outback.
Rallying seems to struggle in the US but I wonder if you guys will follow Europe, NZ and Aus with it's huge resurgence of Classics?

Have a look at the Gallery section here for some inspiration!
http://alpinerally.org.au/
If you watch the promo video there is some snippets of a Fire Arrow (unfortunately coming to a sad end.... :( ) and a GB.

airbats801
Site Admin

Post by airbats801 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:17 am

you have a 037?? id kill for one...

btw love the lancer! Any specs on the g54b?

Team_Harco

Post by Team_Harco » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:54 am

It looked a lot like this when I knew it...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"
75 Colt Rally car "Stig", 76 Colt Race car "Sammy", 74 Colt street car project "Dinsdale"
...and more than a dozen other toys...

Sideways

Post by Sideways » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:56 am

Beastie!!!
Love the deeper offset on the rear :twisted:

airbats801
Site Admin

Post by airbats801 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:05 pm

I love the paint job and wheels. Great looking older lancer :)