New owner of 1977 Colt coupe and have some questions

Carbonvr4

New owner of 1977 Colt coupe and have some questions

Post by Carbonvr4 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:55 pm

Hey everyone, I just purchased a 1977 Colt and really enjoy the car and have some plans for it. If anyone could answer a few questions it would be greatly appreciated.
1st. I believe my steering gearbox is pretty loose. My steering wheel has alot of play and my front end seems pretty tight. Is there any way of fixing this? Or is there a manual rack or power steering rack I can swap in?

2nd. Are there any good ways of lowering these cars? Im not too worried about keeping it original and plan on modding the car when it comes time. So I'm open to options. Coilovers in the front would be great.

3rd. Wheel options? I'm potentially going to put wide wheels on it with flares of some sort . Has anyone done this and know any specs? The body is pretty rusted already and I'm not worried about fully saving it.

4th. Brake upgrades? Possibly dsm conversions? Or other swaps

Thanks too anyone that's already done some research on this. I have big plans with this car. I've had an 91 AWD 4g63 Colt and currently have a Galant vr4.

Datsunrides

Re: New owner of 1977 Colt coupe and have some questions

Post by Datsunrides » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:22 pm

1- there is an adjustment screw on top of the box. Loosen the jamb nut and tighten the screw until (hopefully) the slop is gone. Don’t try and overtighten it as it will make the steering funky. Bad news is that if you have to make a major adjustment, the box is probably worn out and needs to be rebuilt or replaced. No *bolt in* rack that I know of.

2- front you can just cut the springs for a quick and dirty, or you can short stroke the struts with MR2 inserts and a coil over kit. I think there is a way to adapt Starion struts/brakes (answers #4 also). For the rear you can just add blocks or have the springs de-arched.

3-with flares you probably have lots of wheel options. With stock fenders you are kinda limited to low positive offsets, especially if lowered. With flares you can go well into the negative offsets depending on the widths.

Carbonvr4

Post by Carbonvr4 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:55 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! I will try to tighten that jam nut up a bit and see if it helps it tomorrow. Do they make original steering boxes or rebuild kits for these?

I saw the right up on the mr2 struts, if I bought some mr2 coilovers I should be able to make inserts for those? Is it certain years of mr2s?

Will any zero offset size wheels work on these cars at all? I need to do some measuring but if you know that would be great lol also was it 4x100 or 4x114.3?

Datsunrides

Post by Datsunrides » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:07 pm

On the steering box, your only options are used or sending off to a rebuilder. I had one that had slop in the main gear and was able to find bushings that were close enough to the correct size that a little time with a hone got it right on. It still had a little play due to wear in the actual gears, but was much improved. As for the coil overs, they are not necessarily specific for a MR2. As I doubt there is a specific kit for a Colt, you will need to spec one based on the size of the strut tube. IIRC the 2 options are 1.75” and 2”. For 1.75” I know the rear strut insert for the 1st gen MR2 is about the shortest you can get if you plan to shorten the strut tubes. For 2” I think the VW Rabbit front and maybe the 2nd gen MR2 rear are among the shortest for that size strut. I would double check this info as it’s been a while since I have shortened any struts. Probably also want to verify the spring length you want and the rate. I want to say you want something around a 8” length and a rate for street use around 250-350. Zero offset to a 6” width will possibly work at stock height and fenders with around a 195 tire. At one point I had 13x6 zero offset wheels with 205 tires on a somewhat lowered Colt and had rubbing issues at times. Bolt pattern is 4x114.

Raptorreed

Post by Raptorreed » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:58 pm

Any pics of said coupe? This could be one of two bodies, either a Galant or a Lancer, most likely a lancer but still. You would be hard pressed to find any parts like a steering gearbox being produced for an old Mitsubishi lol. Things like adjustable coilovers, would mean you need to either to fab some up or adapt something like a corolla, datsun/nissan, or some other car front suspension to it. Same goes for brakes, if you go to another make for front struts, your brake choices will vary quite a bit.
Tim
76 Colt Galant Coupe
79 Colt Wagon
88 Starquest
92 Galant VR-4
98 Montero

Carbonvr4

Post by Carbonvr4 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:43 am

So to start off the adjustment screw helped dramatically, so thank you for that. I don't think I'll have to worry about that for now at least.
As for the coilovers option I'm not against some Fab work, we have a tig welder available. I 've been trying to find similar write ups about modifying coilovers for similar cars . Not the easiest to find. Will I have to modify the top hats or weld in new strut towers?
I do want to figure out an existing coilovers I could use and modify on this car though.
I may end up putting flares on it and cutting the wheel well out because the are pretty rusted anyway. I found some negative offset wheels I may get once I measure the flare with.
The car is a lancer.

Raptorreed

Post by Raptorreed » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:12 pm

You would probably need to redrill the towers to suit other make struts since your's are 4 bolt and everything else is pretty much a 3 bolt strut top, albeit FB or FC RX7s are 4 bolt (wider bolt spacing than a lancer), could possibly be used. You also need to check ball joint compatibility either using yours or going with the matching ball joint and LCA if the balljoint doesn't fit in the lancer arm, then also need the matching steering knuckles to the strut if using another make.

I'll be doing AE86 fronts on my 79 Sigma, already have Nissan S chassis stuff on my 76 Galant.
Tim
76 Colt Galant Coupe
79 Colt Wagon
88 Starquest
92 Galant VR-4
98 Montero

Carbonvr4

Post by Carbonvr4 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:20 pm

Ok cool I'll see what I can do, do you have any pictures of the same chassis stuff on the galant? I'm curious. What struts are you running? Would you send me some pics on Facebook if you have it?

Carbonvr4

Post by Carbonvr4 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:44 pm

Has anyone put a rack and pinion on one of these?

Raptorreed

Post by Raptorreed » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:26 am

Elsewhere in the world yes, i have an ae86 rack waiting to go in, just not yet ready lol.
Tim
76 Colt Galant Coupe
79 Colt Wagon
88 Starquest
92 Galant VR-4
98 Montero

Raptorreed

Post by Raptorreed » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:08 pm

Carbonvr4 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:20 pm
Ok cool I'll see what I can do, do you have any pictures of the same chassis stuff on the galant? I'm curious. What struts are you running? Would you send me some pics on Facebook if you have it?
When i get some free time, I'll send some pics. I'm running Nissan S13 240sx FEAL coilovers and S14 knuckles on the Galant, along with switched to a Arrow/Lancer crossmember and LCAs. I still need to do some fab work for mounting the castor rod brackets. It's all still under construction, if I use the stock steering setup, i need shorter outer tie rods. Right now I have been saving my pennies to send the car off to have a 4 link put in the rear with the ae86 corolla GTS rear axle I have as well.
Tim
76 Colt Galant Coupe
79 Colt Wagon
88 Starquest
92 Galant VR-4
98 Montero