The future of this forum

mitsuman

The future of this forum

Post by mitsuman » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:09 pm

It's time we had a chat about the future.
What's the prognosis for this forum? For this hobby?
Founding members have dropped off or are intermittent.
Important contributors are now MIA.
I notice that Team_Harco hasn't been in for over ten weeks and his domain name, teamharco.com, is available.
I don't have any other way to reach him to see what's up.
TNcolt423 made an enormous contribution to patrolling the ads but hasn't been heard from since October.
Fire Arrow, who dates back to Yahoo! Groups, also hasn't logged on since October.
And all of the AU/NZ guys who were the bedrock of CCFC - do I dare ask where they've gone? I miss those guys.

Are we being swallowed up by Facebook or by other giants?
Are there so few cars and fans left that we're irrelevant?
I'm 55 years old and I still have a lot I want to accomplish with my hobby and I need everybody's help.
Greg
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
http://www.mitsus.org

Active fleet:
2019 Subaru Impreza
1978 Dodge Colt coupe ("Volga")
1982 Plymouth Sapporo

* Any advice provided is primarily in the context of U.S. market vehicles.

Datsunrides

Re: The future of this forum

Post by Datsunrides » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:18 pm

Greg, I don’t think the cars per se, are irrelevant. It’s just most of the younger crowd are more inclined to use Facebook. I myself have migrated over there as there just is not the traffic here anymore unfortunately. Facebook sucks as far as documenting builds and finding information. I have sold a couple cars and numerous parts through the 70’s Mitsubishi FB group and really nothing here since well before COVID. I still have my 72’HT, 74’HT, and 72’ wagon that I will start restoring this year. I may do some project blurbs over there but nothing like I would do here just simply because, well, nobody seems to be here anymore. I guess it’s just the evolution of things. I’m 53 and got used to the way forums worked and really don’t like FB. It’s going to be the next generation that misses out when our knowledge is not accessible because we don’t like the platform to present said information.

Raptorreed

Post by Raptorreed » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:58 pm

I use fb from time to time, but I'm nowhere near as active there as i used to to be these days. Dropped off most of social media and only seldom post stuff. I still have both my 76 HT and 79 Wagon, will be starting on my 79 wagon again soon later this month. I've been pretty busy this past year, commuting 1100 miles a week for work and I know Shaun has been pretty busy working as well. Steve (Sideways) is active on fb but intermittently, my starion now belongs to him down in Australia. He's still rallying his galant GTO and building another hardtop. Surprisingly Charlie is active on Facebook as well, not necessarily for colt stuff but do see him comment on galantvr4 stuff or other mitsu posts occasionally.
I just picked up an 83 toyota cressida recently and realized there's more parts available for our colts than there is for that thing lol.
Tim
76 Colt GT Hardtop
79 Colt Wagon
83 Toyota Cressida (MX63)
92 Galant VR-4
22 Toyota 4runner

Natedog

Post by Natedog » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:17 am

I still pop in here at least once a week. I miss the days when we had more post. I agree that most people have migrated over the FB. FB is horrible platform to actually have a legitimate build on. I usually am very picky about even trying to help anyone on FB, as no one on there wants to fix/modify, its more is a "where is the link so I can buy it?"

I'll continue to check in, however my budget to build things is about to change, as Im selling my home and moving out on 10 acres. going to be building a shop/apartment type thing, so my big projects are going to be halted for several years. At least ill have my own place free and clear!
49 International KB-2
72/73 Dodge Colts
1984 GMC 3500 Wrecker
1986 Mighty Max 4d56t Swap
1990 Mighty Max v6
99 Montero

Fire Arrow

Post by Fire Arrow » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:09 am

Hi to Greg & everybody else -

I'm sorry for dropping off the face of the Earth and being out-of-touch for so long. Just been busy with other stuff & have actually (and surprisingly) kind of lost interest in my car. It's not that I don't love the stupid thing, but it has simply become too painful, literally, to drive it for any extended period of time. Bad knees coupled with old age is starting to take its toll on me and it has become time for me to move onto more sedentary hobbies.

I don't know, but at least for me, this forum was where I always came for real information about these cars. The groups on FB are okay, but there's way too many "wannabes" that tend to offer up bad and/or misinformation. I get completely put off by that. I don't hardly post at all on any of those groups anymore either, and haven't for a long, long time.

Thanks to everybody here that ever helped me out & took the time to talk about these fabulous little cars. I may be getting out of it as far as ownership goes, but these cars have always been a part of me since 1978 and I will always love & respect them.

airbats801
Site Admin

Post by airbats801 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:45 pm

Frankly, I havent done anything with my colt in 11 years, been sitting in my carport. I've been thinking about cancelling the dedicated I get as its almost 60 a month, and I havent used it for gaming or what not in months. Apparently im still hosting ellva.net, not sure if anything else. There are way cheaper servers we could rent to just host the forum. Maybe a newer better forum software would be good. I wonder if there is anything out there that works and has some kind of app. I think most of us are just not doing much with the cars?

Natedog

Post by Natedog » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:10 am

Let me know via PM if there is anything I can do to help keep the forum alive, I'm not a computer guy, but I'll do what I can to help be it financially, or trying to find someone I know to host if it comes to that.
49 International KB-2
72/73 Dodge Colts
1984 GMC 3500 Wrecker
1986 Mighty Max 4d56t Swap
1990 Mighty Max v6
99 Montero

airbats801
Site Admin

Post by airbats801 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:36 am

nate, we can probably host this forum the the ellva forum for those guys for like 9 bucks a month. very low spec slow server, but frankly, this website is very low user and the database isnt huge. next step up would be a 20 dollar a month server, but im sure the cheap ones would be plenty.

I'l talk to charlie and see if we can get a hold of the ellva guys as well. maybe we can work something out and cut it half and half. either way its pretty cheap compared to the 54 im paying a month right now.

https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/

Old Colt

Post by Old Colt » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:57 pm

Clearly I have not been around.
These sites have no need for a fast server, yah I could be wrong for viewing large photos.
Otherwise I do not see constant conversations that would need supporting.
Regards,
CharlieN

Phlebas

Post by Phlebas » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:27 pm

Just wanted to poke my head in and say that I still find this (and sigma-galant.com) an invaluable resource. I may be young (24) but I'd take a web forum over Facebook any day. Unfortunately I don't have much to share, maybe I should get a build thread going for my Celeste just to keep myself motivated.

If we need a donation pot to keep the site running, I'll happily throw a few quid at it, it's worth it just as a learning tool.

airbats801
Site Admin

Post by airbats801 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:08 pm

server was out of hard drive space, thats why its been down. Sorry. I think I have forgotten my sql password as well lol. gonna see if I can back everything up and I'll probably move it to a cheaper dedicated server

Old Colt

Post by Old Colt » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:30 am

Thank you for the recovery and Gary over on the other forum does as well,
The move would be a logical and good thing.
Regards,
CharlieN